The Joy of Procrastination
These sites offer ideas regarding how to procrastinate (just in case you were having trouble procrastinating on your own).
The Show (Very funny and he references my equation for about half a second)
And a how-to procrastination flowchart: Click to enlarge
Several groups have been formed to celebrate procrastination. Of note, one of these sites considers any attempt at becoming a member excludes you from being a procrastinator.
The Procrastinators’ Club of America
- Of note, The Procrastinators’ Club of America does occasionally send out newsletters and does sponsor September 5th every year as “Be Late For Something Day.” To maintain balance, September 6th is also officially “Fight Procrastination Day.” This should not be confused with “National Procrastination Week,” which is celebrated the first week or the second week of March, depending upon whether you are procrastinating (well, really it’s the first full week). For more information, please contact:
Les Waas, President, Procrastinators’ Club of America Inc, PO Box 712, Bryn Athyn, PA 19009. Phone: (215) 947-9020. Fax: (215) 947-0958. E-mail: email@example.com
(you might have to wait a decade or two for a response though).
- I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
- I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.
- I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.
- I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.
- I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.
- I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.
- I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.
- If at first I don’t succeed, there is always next year.
- I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
- I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.
- I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.
- I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.
- I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.
- I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator’s Society) if they ever get it organized.
I know there is a lot of procrastination themed music out there in almost every genre, such as S.O.D.’s Anti-Procrastination Song (which is just six seconds long), but this category is just starting. Know another good song – recommend it!
“I am a little behind” – Keith Bell
Procrastination Lyrics – Chicks on Speed
Procrastination (Parody) – David Chrenko
Procrastinate (Parody) – LebeiW5
The Great Procrastinator – Cravn’ Melon
Other Fun Sites
This program estimates how long you have left to live, based on your birthday, gender, and race.
Despair.Com’s procrastination poster
Micheal Yang’s essay on a little known Greek god. It won the Gold Award in the Humor category for the 1997 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards
From the Swedish author’s tombstone, Fritjof Nilsson Piraten: “Hereunder lies the ashes of a man, who had the habit of postponing everything. However, he finally made amends and really did die on the 31st January 1972.”
This is a fun place for anyone struggling to get a degree. I finally got around to emailing Jorge about putting up some of his strips. This is what he wrote back:
What a coincidence, I had been planning on writing you for some time (but of course, I was procrastinating). I downloaded your paper a few weeks ago and read it thoroughly. Congratulations on such an exhaustive meta-analysis! Your formula reminds me of my much-less-scientific “Newton’s Laws” comic strip I did a while ago.
Know another good website? Please share it!